'84 318i with no problems, recently passed inspection in Washington with
19XK miles on it...

New owner in July 2002.

>   Post VIN: WBAAK7402E8715045

'84 318i registered May 2002 with new owner, shortly thereafter reported as
junk title issued/dismantled.

...just a couple of months before you bought the car, right?

Sounds like you bought two cars in one in July 2002. If the seller (used car
dealer, right?) didn't disclose this, you've got a lawsuit to file. Material
misrepresentation.

I'd park that puppy (unsafe, blah blah) and go see an attorney...

Lee