Well, a little bit of Sondy Tale, anyway.

THULE GOOD PREP FOR SONDRESTROM
By Wilton Strickland

During my initial trip to Sondrestrom AB, Greenland, on Friday, Feb 4, 1978, I flew aboard an Air Force C-141 from McGuire AFB, NJ, to Thule Air Base, Greenland, 750 miles north of the Arctic Circle and 950 miles from the North Pole, arriving there at about 2 PM in the dark and with ambient temperature at -45° F. 'Stayed overnight in a room called "The Queen's Suite," equipped with the only bathtub in Greenland; also had a commode raised a couple of steps above the floor to allow waste to flow into a storage tank underneath. 'Took a late afternoon nap before walking a half block or so to the Officers Club for dinner. Meanwhile, I had removed my down ski jacket from my baggage and made good use of it. 'Left the next morning at about 11 AM for the 700-mile trip south to Sondrestrom; it was still dark and temperature was still -45° F at Thule. Because I did not yet have an Air Force parka, I continued to make good use of my down ski jacket by wearing it over my class A uniform. Arrived at Sondrestrom at about 1 PM in bright sunlight and temperature of about -20° F. After nearly a day or so and an overnight at Thule in the dark and -45° temperature, Sondrestrom looked and felt like the tropics, and I was glad to be there. The little side trip to Thule, then, served as excellent psychological preparation for Sondrestrom.

Wilton