<<And do SLKs really come with different size rims on the front and back
like the seller implies?  I never heard of any Mercedes like that from
the factory.  Seems uncharacteristically impractical.>>

You are uninformed. Almost any MB with AMG wheels has wider wheels in back.
As one example, I have a set of 17" C36 wheels on my C320, 7.5 inches wide in
front and 8.5 inches wide in the rear. This has been a common optional fitment
for at least ten years.

>From a pinchpenny's point of view, you bet it's impractical. You can't rotate
them. My car seems to be eating rear tires (S-03s) at three times the rate of
the fronts.

RLE/Seattle