C is EGR, J is no EGR.  All you have to do is swap the intake manifold.

On 9/18/2013 2:23 PM, Curt Raymond wrote:
Whats the difference between C and J? Can you modify a C to a J?

I don't want a 1ton pickup, I guess a 3/4 ton Sub I could live with ;)

-Curt

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 13:14:39 -0500
From: Fmiser <fmi...@gmail.com>
To: mercedes@okiebenz.com
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT: Truck for Jamie

Curt wrote:
With a 6.2 you certainly don't have the power you'd get with a
5.7 gasser...
Fmiser wrote:
Actually, you would.? A J-code (the one without the EGR) 6.2L
specs and drives very much like a 5.7 (350 cid) gasoline engine.
But fuel mileage is easily 50% better.
Curt wrote:
This surprises me, I was always under the impression the 6.2 was
a bit under powered. I've never thought a 5.7 underpowered... It
reinforces my desire for a 6.2 powered Blazer...
The C-code has less power (J and C are the letters in the VIN for
the engine).  It is used in the "light" duty cars.  I believe the
non-military Blazers would all be C-code from the factory, but I
don't really know.  There were two versions of 3/4 ton Suburbans,
the one with high GVWR got the J-code engine while the lighter got
the C-code.

It seems often the cars were setup for max economy with long-legged
differential gearing - which, of course, makes them slow.

--    Philip