Does a second GPS also say it's 80.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Frederick Moir" <fredy4.s...@yahoo.com>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 7:54 PM
Subject: [MBZ] Speedo errors

No, not the swimwear!
My 1987 wagon seems to have an inaccurate speedometer.
The diff. ratio is apparently 2.65:1, the same as my 190DT.
So, when doing 80 mph the tachometer on the 190 reads 3000 rpm. (2950 by the book.) When the 300TD is going the speed corresponding to 3000 rpm, the speedometer indicates 96 mph.
The GPS reads the speed as 80 mph.
Question, is it likely that it is the speedometer is out of its tiny mind or am I? And is there anything else that would cause this error?
Vacant staring idiot wants to know.

Fred Moir
Lynn MA
Diesel preferred.