> Emission testing is only in and around St. Louis and Kansas City
> and last I checked for cars newer than 1969.  The rest of the state
> has only safety inspections every two years.

As of a few years ago, only the St Louis area and only 1996 and newer
vehicles (1997 and up for diesels). It is just an OBD-II flash so only a
worry for the sort of folks who accept a check engine light as normal.

In other words, it is the bare minimum required by the Clean Air Act as a
nonattainment area.

Tom