You want something that fluoresces when exposed to UV. My guess is the
black Rit dye will not.

I was just thinking that if black water came out the ports
then I could get worried!  But I'm slowly convincing myself
that it's all OK.  Right now I'm trying to figure out how
this old Kohler was supposed to work.  It's from the days
of ancient tricky magnetics and has some auxiliary windings
that I'm trying to figure out.  And the regulator itself
may be inoperative, and the adjustment rheostat is missing.

Add a sidetrack where I'm trying to beat Illustrator into
making a nice-looking coil, and I've managed to waste the
entire morning so far.  (No luck w/Illustrator.)

-- Jim