I retired my 20" C2D iMac for the youngest son to take to college to augment
his Toshiba i7 laptop.  To replace the iMac, I bought a Mac Pro 1,1 from a
fellow Mac buddy for $400 shipped to my house.  That included a 128GB   SSD
boot drive.

The Mac Pro blows my iMac away, and i's only running 2-2.66 GHz dual core Xeons
with a firmware flash to the 2,1 firmware.  I know I can pop in a couple of
X5355s or 5365s to bump it to an 8 core machine for under $100.  It does such a
good job the way it is I haven't felt the need.  It wouldn't make a lot of
difference to me anyway, as most of the stuff I run is single threaded anyway.

When I do rip a CD or run Handbrake I can definitely tell the difference.

Love my Macs.

MacDan