A good question might be why they did not send you the right liner??

I have some experience with that sort of thing as I worked building swimming pools for 3 summers while I was in university. By then we had pretty much moved away from using sand and instead used what we called pool pad. It was a mixture of vermiculite and cement. Initially we used a lot of cement so it looked like concrete but that ultimately moved to a drier mixture. We would pack it in in the right shape and then drop the liner in quickly and fill with water to hold things in place. Quite a process as these pools had deep ends and some were kidney shaped and at least 40 feet long. If the liner dislodged material when we were shifting it into place, someone would have to go in under it and do a quick patch. Sometimes we would have underground water that would not stop seeping and would have to get the liner in very quickly to prevent a lot of water under the liner.

Randy