From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Sun Jan 08 18:07:40 2006
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 13:13:25 -0500
From: John Ervine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 190E 2.6 5 speed

tom savage wrote:

> Different shift pattern.  It is supposedly beneficial in racing and
> package delivery applications, though I've yet to hear a really good
> explanation of why that is.  Surprisingly easy to get used to.

A dogleg 1st gear shifter is such that the usable gears (2, 3, 4, and 5) are
setup in the standard H-pattern.  1st gear is only needed to get the car moving,
but 2-5 are needed on the course.  The dogleg 1st gear makes 5th gear easier to
shift to on the long straights (and subsequent downshifts into 4th when
braking).

For package delivery, though, I couldn't help you.

--
John L. Ervine
1981 240D 4-spd 268+kmi