Maybe, I was a bit young then to recall.

--R

On 10/28/13 7:27 PM, WILTON wrote:
'Thought Convair F-102 was first to use area rule (coke bottle design) in early 50's; enabled it to go supersonic. Convair B-58 soon thereafter.
Fuel and nuke weapons in B-58 pod.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rich Thomas" <richthomas79td...@constructivity.net>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Monday, October 28, 2013 9:44 AM
Subject: [MBZ] OT One for Milt

 When I was a kid I remember going to Grissom AFB in Indiana (it was
 called something else then, Bunker Hill I think) to an open house day,
 and getting to sit in the cockpit of one of these.  I had built a
 plastic model of it, and thought it was soooooo cool.  These things
 were so over the top.  I understand that all the avionics generated so
 much heat (vacuum tubes), and took up so much space, that it was
 necessary to put all of it in an external pod that hung below the
 plane, and sorta negated a lot of the performance attributes it was
 designed for.  I think it was the first "Coke-bottle" design for
 supersonic flight but the pod kinda killed that.  Not sure where "The
 Bomb" was kept or how it could be dropped.  It scared the rooshans
though and kept Merka great and out of the hands of the filthy reds! Conelrad alert!

 Convair B-58 Hustler Low Level Bombing Capabilities

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFPgur_cUmA#t=252

--R