Kaleb,

I would get the diesel. If you can find one with a documented factory
crate motor, great - they are out there, just not easy to locate.
Otherwise, get one that runs good and doesn't use oil. Tear the engine
down and replace the rods BEFORE they bend and destroy the cylinder
walls. Yeah, it will cost you $1k for new rods up front (plus gaskets
and labor time), but the engine should last as long as any other 603
diesel afterwards - assuming the cylinders are still nice and round.
The other advantage is, since you have to disassemble most of the
engine anyway, you can replace ALL external seals and get a 100%
leak-free motor.

If you go for the gasser, the 500 is the only one to consider. The 320
is too gutless, and why bother with the 420 when the 500 will be
identical in maintenance cost (same M119 engine) but offer an extra 40
ponies on demand, with very little loss in MPG. Forget the 600 for
obvious reasons. My sister picked up a very nice 1994 S500 recently
and they really like it. Fuel economy is rather poor, figure 13-15
around town (depending on the weight of your foot), and 18-22 on the
freeway. Later cars (1996-up?) got the M119.98x engine with
distributorless ignition (very cool), as well as the 5-speed automatic
tranny. The S500 is surprisingly quick for such a large car. If you
lack restraint, a Valentine-1 is a wise accessory to purchase. (Trust
me.)

Some day I wouldn't mind getting a W140 myself, and it would either be
the S350 (with an intercooler, and the full-load screw tweaked,
buwaaa-hah-hahaha!) or the S500. Such a shame we never got the 180hp
S300 with the turbo 606 motor over here. I'd be all over one of those!

:-)

-Dave M.