A quick search would indicate they just were not big enough to be able to compete with the big 3 automakers.

On 01/11/2013 12:58 PM, OK Don wrote:
True, the Studebakers were good cars. Dad bought a pickup truck when the
local dealer went out of business, we drove it to about 200k miles, then
sold it to a collector. I don't remember why they died (the brand).