I find most truckers are courteous, professional drivers, and are
generally nice to  me if I'm nice to them.  (How many of you have ever
hung back to let a semi change lanes in heavy traffic?  I frequently do,
and often get a "thank you" taillight flash.)  They have a tough job and
most of them do it superbly.  It's just that the occasional bad apple
stands out, because the consequences of their actions can be so massive.

There are problems in the industry, but most of them aren't so much the
fault of the drivers, but rather companies trying to squeeze out every
last cent of profit.  One study in Michigan found that half the trucks
on the road were over the legal weight limit.