With current liability laws and a lawsuit-happy society it is
liability-prohibitive to develop and build a new general aviation aircraft
design.  Practically every general aviation commercial aircraft is based on
50-year-old designs.

I once read a speculation that if the Government was in charge of all polio
research, we still would not have a vaccine but we would have the most
elaborate and expensive iron lungs imaginable.  The younger readers know how
to Google it and we older readers still remember.