Craig,

Importing a car to the USA that was never originally sold here just
about takes an act of Congress, or some sort of diplomatic powers.
Usually it requires making the whole car meet DOT regs, which can be
obscenely expensive. There are a few loopholes, but I think those are
few and far between. For instance, if you are moving from another
country to the USA permanently and want to bring your personal car
over, I think that's possible. (??) Not many people would fall into
that category, though.

Believe me, I'd LOVE to find a way to get a W124 E60 AMG Limited
across the pond, but it'd probably easier to import all the parts
needed to build the car and then assemble it here - same with the
W140.135 that has the 606 turbo motor. Stupid import laws! I wonder if
that car was sold in Canada? It's marginally easier to get a Canadian
car to the USA - I think. (???)

+dm