Thanks again for the story ---

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 6:00 PM, WILTON <wilt...@nc.rr.com> wrote:

> Well, here's one, anyway.
>
> JUST DON'T MESS WITH THE PEPSIS
> By Wilton Strickland
>
> By late spring of 1978, while I was Director of Engineering at Sondrestrom
> Air Base (now Kangerlussuaq), Greenland, some goods that were normally
> shipped by ocean-going vessel were beginning to be in short supply.  A hot
> topic around base was beginning to be the availability (or lack thereof) of
> beer.  This, of course, had no direct effect on me - I had already for many
> years been somewhat of a "Pepsi nut."  I guess my enjoyment of the
> sweetness of a sip of Pepsi rather than the bitterness of coffee or beer
> betrays my unsophisticated pallet, but that's OK - I've never done
> something or liked something because "that's what everybody else" likes or
> is doing.  I haven't had a cup of coffee in at least 35 years and have
> never had a beer or smoked a cigarette.  A few days before the first supply
> ship of the season arrived, I went to the Base Exchange (BX) to get a
> six-pack of Pepsis and was told that there were NONE.
>
> At about this same time, the supervisor of the Danish stevedores who would
> be unloading the supply ships soon to arrive from the States asked me to
> inspect the quarters they would be using.  In my additional capacity as
> Base Fire Marshall, I was especially concerned about fire safety in
> addition to their general livability.  The quarters were in one-story wood
> frame buildings built in 1941 and '42 by US Army and civilian crews under
> the leadership of Bernt Balchan, who first proposed and established a base
> at the site, known then as Bluie West 8, to serve as a refueling base for
> American aircraft transferring to Europe.  (Check "Bernt Balchan - Polar
> Aviator," by Carrol V. Glines.)
>
> I was at first appalled that such quarters were still in use, but these
> feelings were soon tempered by memories of farm houses in which I had lived
> as a child in eastern North Carolina - no inside plumbing, kerosene lamps,
> wood-fired heater in living room, wood-fired stove in the kitchen,
> fireplace in a bedroom and snow blowing in through cracks in the walls of
> my brothers' bedroom during winter of 1939/40.)  Though far below modern
> living standards of 1978, the buildings were structurally sound, with good
> roofs, doors, windows, indoor plumbing, hot showers, and oil-fired heaters
> to ward off occasional chill of nights in the arctic summer.  After finding
> that the buildings had appropriate smoke/fire alarms, exits and fire
> extinguishes, I approved them for temporary occupancy.
>
> A few days later, while I was also acting Base Commander for 2 or 3 days
> during the absence of our regular Base Commander, the man in charge of the
> re-supply operation told me that a few cases of beer were missing from one
> of the shipping containers unloaded from the first ship and asked me what
> he should do about it.  I remarked, "It seems that the ship captain has a
> [...]

OK Don
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin 1775
"in this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes."
- Benjamin Franklin 1789
2013 F150, 18 mpg
2012 Passat TDI DSG, 44 mpg
1957 C182A, 12 mpg - but at 150 mph!