On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 20:38:45 -0500 "Scott Ritchey" <ritche...@nc.rr.com>
wrote:

> I was impressed by the apparent lack of fitting or selecting parts.
> Everything just seemed to fit.  Maybe the precision and repeatability is
> actually that good (my engine rebuilding days were in the 69s and
> 70s).

It really would be impressive if there was no selecting. Getting
block/crankshaft and crankshaft/rod clearances within 0.001" like you
need to without hand fitting seems a little bit much.

They [AMG] boast about this being a hand-assembled engine, but the video
didn't show any real "hand work".

By the way, what would a "non-hand-assembly" procedure look like?

> I was also "impressed" by the lack of any checklists, assembly guides,
> technical data, etc.  Again, maybe that just how the video was made.

They did leave out a lot of stuff, didn't they?

> In an ordinary factory the physical arrangement of the assembly line
> and the limited scope of individuals' jobs can overcome the need for
> such guides but it looks like this one guy did it all.

That's the whole point of the "This engine handcrafted by <name>" sticker
he put on at the end.

Craig