On Wed, 1 Jan 2014 11:26:46 -0800 Alex Chamberlain
<apchamberl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 1, 2014 9:58 AM, "rickknoble" <rickkno...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Online privacy is an oxymoron.
>
> Craig has mentioned a set of plugins he uses with Chrome, or maybe it
> was Firefox, to block ads and increase privacy.  Craig, can you tell us
> about your browser configuration again?

I use No-Script with both SeaMonkey (my primary browser) and Firefox. It
allows blocking or permitting of scripts on each website visited on a
script-serving site-by-site basis. One can block all scripts called by a
certain website (the default) or allow them on a temporary or permanent
basis for the scripts that website serves itself and each of the sites
that serve scripts for that website.

For example, when I go to
http://www.askthebuilder.com/restoring-a-weathered-teak-table/?awt_l=BqPkw&awt_m=J6sS1UDrJrNiL5
 ,
I see the following sources for scripts:

        - askthebuilder.com
        - aweber.com
        - media.net
        - googlesyndication.com
        - 5min.com
        - addthis.com
        - google.com
        - googletagservices.com
        - doubleclick.net
        - googleusercontent.com
        - ytimg.com
        - gstatic.com
        - youtube.com
        - facebook.net
        - twitter.com

I have allowed askthebuilder.com, googlesynication.com, google.com,
googleusercontent.com, ytimg.com, gstatic.com, youtube.com. I have marked
twitter.com and facebook.net as untrusted.

I keep away from doubleclick.net and googleanalytics.com as tracking
websites.

In SeaMonkey, I additionally have unchecked Preferences -> Advanced ->
Scripts & Plugins -> "When a page requires plugins Activate all plugins
by default" so I don't get flash and other presentations when I don't
want them (it decreases the processor load for tasteofhome.com, a website
Shirley frequents). I think there is an equivalent in Firefox, but I am
more familiar with SeaMonkey. There are also some websites that don't
work in SeaMonkey and I have to use Firefox.

If I have temporarily allowed (one-by-one) scripts on a website to see
the content, I then can "Revoke Temporary Permissions" to reset
everything. Sometimes I have found that allowing scripts from one of a
website's suppliers then brings up more script suppliers. It's really
annoying. Sometimes, they have been four or five deep.

In many cases, I have found that not allowing all the scripts keeps
advertisements and other such junk from loading; that's quite a benefit
on some websites.

I haven't tried AdBlock.

Craig