That's the way my 126's demise started last March - overheated, then missing coolant, etc.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "clay" <redgh...@comcast.net>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 11, 2014 12:33 AM
Subject: [MBZ] missing coolant

The w140 is making coolant disappear.

#1 boy drove the car after the fan bearings failed and the engine got too hot. There was steam under the hood. When the car went to the indy for repair, leakage of coolant was noted, but no viable explanation or investigation took place.

The car has been back on the road for about a month, and last week the low coolant light came on. I had him check level, which was low. He wanted to fill up with coolant, but I advised water and added about a gallon with about 12 oz of G-05. I figured the indy had not topped off the tank, and it was steam lost. Told the boy to keep an eye on it and check his fluids every day. Put a gallon of water in his trunk, for emergency use. Over the past week he has used all the fluid.

SO, I worried it might be head gasket, but though better that it could be hose failure to the monovalve. I have tried to get data on just where to look for said hose or clamp failure, but no luck from EPC and other interweb sites. Anybody know where I should look on the actual car for hose at firewall? Car is 92 300SE, M104 engine. It really blows ICE COLD.

clay

2002 s430 - Victor, a Stately & well tailored chap
1974 450sl -  Frosch - Two tone green
POS 1987 SDL - Beware Nigerian Scammers