Actually, there is a connection. When Emil  Jellinek first started selling
Daimlers in France, he insisted on  changing the name as the French would not
like a German named car.  Although a Jew, he was fascinated by all things
Spanish (AND was a  diplomat of the Catholic King of the Austro-Hungarian
Empire to  France...he died in a French prison during or shortly after WWI) and
 named the car after his daughter Mercedes, whose full name was Nuestra  Senora
de la Mercedes - A Catholic devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary  under the
Title of "Our Lady of Mercy". In Hugary, he sold Daimlers  under the name Maja
- his other daughter.

  So Catholic girls named Mercedes, have the Virgin Mary as their patron
saint, as do our cars...including St. Frances of Rome (patron saint of  cars)
and St. Christopher (patron saint of drivers).

  There is alot in a name. Unfortunately, by all accounts, Emil Jellinek
(although brilliant) was a real SOB in the personality department. His
daughter Mercedes died in poverty. The MB Collections catalog sells a  doll of
her, which OF COURSE (ATTN: LT DON) my daughter MUST have.  We'll see.

  Tchuss,

  Chris

Levi Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  Yeah, my wife calls my 83' 300D
"Mercedes".  But sometimes it gets shortened
to "Mercy" which I think might be more appropriate in my case since I pray
for it most any time I drive it...  (:

Levi

On 1/11/06, ANGELO GIAIMO  wrote:

> How 'bout BOHICA......Bend Over, Here It Comes Again........But only for a
> car you love that keeps taking you to the cleaners........
>
> Knew someone with a '85 533i with that name.......

It isn't what you have, or who you are, or where you are, or what you are
doing that makes you happy or unhappy. It is what you think about.
-Dale Carnegie

Christopher McCann, Squier Park, Kansas City, Missouri
-2005 Blue Point Siamese, "Rose"
-1987 300TD, 151K, "Rotkäppchen"
-1985 300SD, 210K, "Wulf"
-1976 240D, ?K, "AKP-Wagen" (Alternativen Kraftstoffs Prüfenlastwagen)
-1972 Jacobsen 21" Turbo Vent
-1971 Case 222 Hydrive, 12HP Kohler, 38" deck, Snowcaster, "One Banger"

Yahoo! Photos
 Ring in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events, holidays,
whatever.