He can fly in an under the seat carrier, the dimensions of which you can get on
the airlines' web sites.  You can also find them in pet stores, too.

I have flown with cats up to 12 lbs. in an under seat carrier, and while it was
tight, they survived.  18 lbs. might be pushing it.  Have done the crate in the
cargo hold approach, too, but that's near impossible to do his time of year due
to the temperatures..

While one might think the cat would be freaked out, according to animal
behaviorists they like the close quarters, much as they would by hiding under a
bed or piece of furniture, for example.

Right.

Be sure it's chipped and properly immunized before you go.

Dan