Couple of attempted break-ins in the neighborhood recently, both on rental
homes.  One was across the street, and the owner was still in it while it's
being listed to rent (they are moving out of state and are going to rent the
house for a year to be sure they want to stay where they're going.) Needless to
say she was freaked out.  The other was unoccupied.

So now the wife is asking about cameras on our front porch area and covering
the back yard.

I have toyed with this idea for some time as I have seen cameras come down in
price the last year or two.  I have a DLink setup with my NAS that supports
their cameras for motion detection, image capture, and external (Internet)
access.

My personal experience with DLink hasn't been that great, but with this in mind
I was wondering if anyone on the list had cameras and what they were using as
far as brands and software.

The front camera would be easy to hard wire, as it would be about 10 feet from
my data frame in the garage where my main switch is.  The back yard one would
have to be wireless, as there is no way I can get Ethernet to it.

I don't need cameras that are "steerable" - fixed mounts are fine.  I do want
IR capability.  Anything else you want to add or comment on I'm all ears.

Dan