Its been snowing pretty good all day here in central New England. Yesterday the
national weather service was calling for 8-14 inches. This morning they upped
us to 10-18.

Just before lunch I rebuilt the starter/generator for my Cub Cadet which has
the plow on it. The engine has been starting really hard lately and the starter
was getting pokey, I'd have to smack it with a hammer to get it to work
sometimes. One bearing was a little crusty and the brushes were worn down
pretty good. Back in place it still seems pokey but the battery is taking a
full amp, I wonder if its been only charging occasionally which could cause
slow cranking.

Then I took a couple snowmobiles for a spin, I was a little worried they'd
frozen to the ground what with last week's storm when I was gone. Both started
good and got loose with little trouble. Hard riding right now because its
snowing so hard, visibility is poor and its windy. I also needed my heavy long
underwear, I'd worn my light pair as I wanted to be able to move.

As usual we're prepared, 4 gallons of kerosene, 2 gallons of Coleman fuel, 2
gallons of straight gas, 2 gallons of propane in 1# cans, just under 1 cord of
wood left, plenty of food. We could be off grid for 3-4 days with no serious
disruption at which point I'd have to start tapping the Ranger for gas and pull
some diesel out of the cars. Plenty of diesel, the Jetta is full, 190D half
full, 240D full...

Maybe I'll light the Aladdin lamp Fred gave me for some wintertime ambiance.