> Dieselhead wrote:
>
> A 4 lb double bit axe works to split quite a few species of wood.
> Fast and simple.  Oak, Elm, Hickory, cherry, and most conifers
> split well with just a double bit axe.  Most single bit are 3 or
> 3.5 lb, and not too good for splitting.

Hmm.  The only way a "normal" ax will split the wood I find around
here is if the user knows the trick of twisting the ax as it
strikes the wood.  (page 44 in "An Ax to Grind")

For those who wish to be ax smart, start with "An Ax to Grind"

As pdf
http://www.pcta.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/an_ax_to_grind.pdf

as html
http://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/htmlpubs/htm99232823/