Christopher McCann wrote:

AHA! I've looked at that car when Jason and I drove across the state to look at an SD for his mother-in-law at that place. The guy restores bugs - NICE and he had a...350SL???...BEAUTIFULLY resoted for $35,000. When Jason came back from the test drive he asked, "how much for that?" I said, "35". He said, "HUNDRED!?" I laughed and said I would already have bought it if that were the case. Anyway, didn't drive the 240, but it is obvisouly very rough. He says "it drives"

This looked like it would make a fine Gump-type car, so I called the seller for more info. Story is that some guy was driving it 50 miles a day before trading it in on something less crappy, and then it just sat at the back of the lot for "a while". Floors, fenders, rockers, etc are all pretty rusty, but the mechanicals and mismatched tires are supposedly fine. No state inspection, and other than a new primer pump, it seems the only thing they've done with it is take pictures. "It's a typical rusty old 240D. Just drive it until something breaks and then use it as a donor car."

Reserve is $1000.  At least it doesn't get 40mpg.

Tom