I need to order some whale sperm myself

On 3/3/2014 6:55 PM, Dan Penoff wrote:
As we speak about suppliers and the level of service they provide (and how we,
as customers, place a value on that level of service) I would like to share an
experience I had today with George of Leatherique.

Disclaimer:  I have known George for many years and always been a devoted
customer.  I first heard about George and Leatherique products when I was
working the Daytona Harley-Davidson rally with my wife (she was an executive
with H-D at the time.)  George was there demonstrating his products to bikers,
showing how it could restore and rejuvenate their leather jackets, chaps, etc.

As an aside George also mentioned what a great job it did on the leather in
cars such as Mercedes and Rolls-Royce.  After his spiel I spoke with him about
being an MB enthusiast, and he promptly handed me 8 oz. bottles of Leatherique
and Prestine Clean.  I used them on my 300SD's leather the next week when I got
home, and I was sold from that point on.

On to today....

I ran out of Leatherique this weekend when I was going to treat the seats in my
R129.  I got online yesterday and ordered a 16 oz. bottle of Leatherique (I
always seem to have plenty of Prestine Clean, for some reason.)  When I got
ready to check out, I was a bit taken aback at the $15 charge for shipping,
along with a small ($1) handling charge.

OK, it's a liquid which requires special handling and probably needs to be
packaged securely, that's fair.

I get a shipping confirmation this morning and notice that the package is being
shipped via USPS Priority Mail.  Hmm.  That's a little fishy, considering that
USPS PM is quite a bit cheaper than UPS, and I also had no choice at checkout.
I'm thinking, is George doing a little profit taking here?

So I dropped George a note and asked him what was up.

Turns out he does normally use UPS, but with the weather of late they have not
been consistent with delivery.  Rather than let the product languish on a
sorting belt or in the back of a UPS truck, he was shipping items USPS due to
their willingness to guarantee delivery.

Boy, did I feel stupid.

George was quick to assuage my guilt in questioning his practices, and was very
gracious in taking the time to explain things so I understood why he did what
he did.  He also encouraged me to contact him in advance of my next order so he
could extend a courtesy discount, which I politely declined.

This is the kind of business that gets my money, regardless of the cost of
their products.  Of course, their products are vey high quality as well.  I
will be a Leatherique customer for life as a direct result of George's business
practices.

Dan