Scott wrote:
> There was
> no shortage of US innovation during most of the period since 1960 (we went
> to the moon, for example).  But, given the US tort environment, there is no
> business case for taking the risk to build a really-new general aviation
> aircraft, only "proven designs".

Terribly huge issues - yes.
The moon landing was innovation based in late 1940's (...probably...)
but using gumption of the space race of 1960 JFK and them dern
rooskies.  A bit of technology perhaps but probably most of the design
used 1890's slide rule technology (...or whenever slide rules were
developed...).  And then there's tort environs... still a total
hindrance to innovation today.  And money.  Orvill & Wilbur seemed to
be able to do things on somewhat shoestring.  Not too much since those
halcyon days has been innovated or invented.  Tesla was shut down and
that might have been a huge innovation against the unsightly
Westinghouse distribution systems necessary today.
It seems that education is the largest cookie cutter destructive tool
today.  Education is doing nothing for the next generation regarding
learning or innovation and invention.
mao