Appendectomies can wait. A pocket knife and a pen barrel will let you do a roadside tracheotomy if the victim can't breathe. Also useful for choking diners. It's very quick and simple and nearly anyone can do it.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/dr-royce-johnson-saves-diners-life-by-performing-tracheotomy-with-knife-and-pen/story-fneuzlbd-1226727284042

Gerry....who saw one come into the ER back before there were tort lawyers behind every tree.