Yes and no...

Last I checked diesel was $4.05 and gas was $3.70, thats a difference of $0.75,
so diesel is 20% more expensive than gas. Diesel fuel has about 30% more energy
than gas so you pay 20 to get 30.

In the Dodge pickup the difference is important, people will say "the diesel is
$4000 more expensive than the gasser" which is true except thats comparing the
diesel which has better performance than the V8 gasser to the V6 gasser. The V8
is $1500 more than the V6 so the diesel is only $2500 more.

According to fueleconomy.gov the V8 8spd Dodge 4wd is going to do 17mpg
combined while the diesel will do 22mpg. The v8 does require midgrade which
evens the field a little bit. Fueleconomy.gov suggests the gasser will require
twice the money in gas over 5 years that the diesel does and thus the diesel
engine pays for itself in that time. Plus the diesel has more torque and
produces its power down low where you want it.

Angie has said she'd like a Jetta like mine. I think in reality if we get
another Jetta it'll be a gasser. She doesn't really drive enough to make the
added fuel economy come out in the end especially since the TDIs really hold
their value.

Which is one important final point diesels really hold their value, waaaaaay
better than gassers...

-Curt