I didn't really want to prompt a "political" thing but dsereta...@yahoo.com has it about right. In the boy's case, $300k+ to get through med school with a foregone income of say $150k (probably more or not likely less), then 3-7 years after that at a foregone salary of say $30-40k/year or more, working 100hr/wk, looking at easily $500k-$750k of investment or morw. In the wife's case make that $1M+.

It will take a while to become "wealthy" even after starting to make a significant income (notice the difference between income and wealth). A Mercedes is a reasonable reward for all that work. Why, I spent $3000 on my wife's "new" Mercedes! We be wealthy (and actually when driving that thing, it feels that way)!

--R