Sounds like you need purchase and install a Browning BR-Filter, 15 Amp Noise Filter Model BR-Filter, Radio Shack Catalog Number: 55065746. Here is what the catalog says about it: This Browning 15-Amp Noise Filter is a heavy-duty alternator and ignition noise suppressor. It offers a land mobile class in-line filter, a high-inductance iron core coil and a 10,000 MFD bypass electrolytic capacitor. Heavy-duty suppression of alternator and ignition noise Land mobile class in-line filter 250W

Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 15:33:03 -0400
From: Tim Crone <bb...@crone.us>

I have a Bluetooth adapter that connects via line-in to the radio in the van. It charges via USB. The audio is fine when it is not plugged in to the van power; however, if the USB cable is plugged in when running, I get
static-y, whiny noise.

To make this a little more interesting, I also have an external battery pack. The other day I connected it to the Bluetooth adapter, and if the external pack was connected to the car power I got the static - if it was
not, no static.

Because of this I think my adapter is okay, and I am suspicious that there is some AC coming off the ground from the lighter socket. Can I just run a capacitor or two across the fuse in the power connector to filter? Any suggestions on appropriate capacitance? Anything else I should consider?

Thanks,
Tim