On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 6:46 PM, WILTON <wilt...@nc.rr.com> wrote:

> A little while ago, SWMBO brought home a beautiful glazed clay pot for a
> small maple tree on our side terrace/patio.  'Couldn't help but wonder if I
> might have stirred up some of the clay in that pot with the MANY (8,424)
> bombs I dropped on 'em in last half of '72.  BTW, one can view on Google
> Earth some of the craters that I may have left near Radio Hanoi
> transmission towers off the SW corner of Hanoi.  Obviously, the craters
> that are still visible in the fields nearby missed the towers.

Just out of curiosity, how many missions does 8,424 represent?  That's a
lot of time in the air, glad you made it home!

> The pot is very heavy.  SWMBO wondered how "they" were able to produce it,
> transport it and sell it to her for only $19.  The potter probably got only
> a very few cents.

According to a random internet shipping company, you can ship a 40'
container from Ho Chi Minh City to Los Angeles for $2033, plus fees.  20'
containers were somewhat cheaper, but not half.  I'm not sure what the
maximum weight is but given that they ship cars and whatnot I'm sure you
could get a lot of pots in one container.

Best,
Tim