> Greg wrote:

I'm late to the party here, but thought I'd add my comments anyway.

> I want to ditch XP

> 1.If I run XP in a virtualbox under Linux, does that provide the
> internet security I get with linux?

It depends - but typically no.  VirtualBox guest has either
"raw" (bridged) access to the physical connector or NAT and/or
firewalled connection.  But without setting up a very aggressive
firewall, it won't keep XP from initiating nasty exchanges.

> 3.If I were to run a dual boot instead, is there a simple way to
> enable access to the network drive but disable internet access
> when booting into XP?

Yup.  Set the gateway address wrong.  LAN is accessible, but it
goes knocking at the wrong address for everything beyond.  It will
work in a VirtualBox guest too.

--    Philip