I have seen many a diesel that needed to be tow started then ran fine afterwards.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

In a message dated 1/14/2006 1:28:57 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

So for those of us not as mechanically inclined as most of the list, it's a big time matter of trust. For the general population, mechanics, just like doctors, plumbers, lawyers, etc. etc. have us just where they want us. Do-it-yourself-ers are fortunate indeed.
Brian,

I did a lot of diesel parts business with TriStar before they moved and got treated honestly and fairly on my parts. They even replaced an air cleaner bracket (that they sold me) that lasted less than a year but warned me that my motor mounts were bad (true) and they wouldn't do it again. I have not dealt with them since they moved to West Broadway so do not know if their principles and/or principals remain the same. I believe all you need to crank the engine, for a compression test, is the flexplate, which has the ring gear on it. The starter mounts on the engine side of the block and the starter bolts might be a little too long without the transmission, but a couple spacers should fix that! Having said that, a cold cranking compression test is likely to be all over the map because you don't have any idea how much oil is clinging to the rings and cylinders. Squirting oil in there leaves you wondering how much compression is from the oil and how much is from cranking. As they are currently discussing this on the Stu list, (topic was flooding a diesel) even a good engine my require tow starting after sitting a long time because of lack of oil seal on the rings. I say put it in and get it running. If TriStar said it was good you gotta go with that. And when you are totally disgusted with the 240D, bring me $4500 and you can DRIVE my rust free, just broken in, 79 300SD back to Minnesota. No core charge either! Good luck,
Jim  Friesen
Phoenix AZ
79 300SD, 262 K miles 98 ML 320, 140 K miles