ATTABOY!

Wilt

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rick Hawkins Java" <macj...@aol.com>
To: <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2014 1:41 AM
Subject: [MBZ] 1882 300 td sls troubles and finally repairs!!

Folks,

Today my helper and i spent a couple of hours working on my sls on the 300TD.

First we siphoned the fluid out of the reservoir. Then we removed and washed the crud out of it and dried it thoroughly.

We jacked the car way up with a floor jack on each side and backed the jacks up with jack stands and removed the spheres. I did the screwdriver test and the screwdriver goes all the way to the back of the unit on the old ones and on the new ones, it stops after about an inch ... gently on the new.

I installed the new ones and the high pressure line wouldn't screw in on the driver' side. I removed the sphere and the threads were obviously buggered up.

I had a cheap $9 HF tap & die set that had a 1/4 inch, i think, pipe tap. I tried it in one of the old units and it fit, so i chased the threads easily in the new one. I reinstalled it and it went in with little difficulty. We started up and tested for leaks and we were golden.

So, i drove the car home and it now rides like an er ... mercedes, not like a buckboard wagon. After i parked it, even after about 4 or 5 hours the car REMAINED AT DRIVING HEIGHT and didn't seem to be squatting down as it has been.

I didn't do any tests for up and down, but i suspect all is well.

So, i conclude that the spheres are responsible for more than just the ride quality.

The sls control valve seems to be weeping a very little bit. I wiped it down and i'll watch it. If any of you have a rebuildable sls control valve for a 123, i'll buy it, just so i can build one and then just do a swap. It looks like a bear to remove ... lots of small high pressure steel lines.

So that was all good. Then i came home and noticed that AAPL (Apple stock) went down a couple of $$ but then in after hours trading it jumped up $44 or so. I read that they announced some results and more importantly, that they are going to do a $30 billion stock buy back and also split the stock 7/1 or however you write that .... crazy investor news.

thanks,

xx rick
Rick Hawkins

All posts are the result of individual contributors and as such, those individuals are responsible for the content of the post. The list owner has no control over the content of the messages of each contributor.