I believe what you describe is what is known as a "balloon framed " house,
which is no longer legal to build.

Balloon framing used the same stud from sill plate to roof, with the second
floor attached to the stud mid point [about] . As the building ages, second
floor joists sag or go soft, the building "balloons" at the second floor,
or the whole building simply racks out of square.

First, check with your local building code people to see what they will
allow for repairs in the balloon frame home [I'm guessing many in your area
are likely built this way, since it was popular at the time. What local
codes allow will influence your ability to insure, so worth the effort to
get the straight scoop.

Sister stud repair: Not ideal, but necessary in older buildings. I like to
use a generous overlap with both glue and well spaced nails. If space
allows, I like to use the double sister method, which sandwiches the old
stud with a 2x on each side.  Is the stud 2x4 or 2x6 ?  If it was built
before 1920 it's likely full dimension lumber which means the stud will be
a full 2 inches thick x a full 4 or 6 inches thick.. modern lumber gives us
2x4's that measure 1 1/2 x 3 1/2  so you may want to rip down a thicker
piece to get correct contact with inner and outer wall with the sister
studs.

Sills of course need to be pressure treated wood on a solid foundation and
the studs re-attached properly so they don't kick out [common with the
sags.

Good luck, I count among my personal blessings that I'm to far away to
offer to help.. ;)))

Grant...