True, however, in my case every stinking gap/hole/opening in the house has been
sealed and verified with a blower door test, which was done last fall and
passed with flying colors.  In fact, the guy that did it said my house was one
of the tightest he had ever tested.

Attic ventilation exceeds spec as well, with about 10% more than specified in
the way of soffit and roof vents.

Your point is well taken, however, as a lot of my research turned up a rather
heated debate in the HVAC community over the use of (powered) attic vents.
Most of those arguments revolved around the house envelope not being properly
sealed.  This was my motivation for doing it, and I believe I saw results from
it almost immediately.

Last year in the period of July through September we had nearly the same number
of heating degree days as the year before, and during the same period last year
my electric bill (AC) dropped on average about 20% during that time.

I would attribute the drop to sealing the house and the installation of a Nest
thermostat earlier in the year.

Dan