it seems most monitors fail because of cheap chinese substandard caps.  i
have a nice on in the closet i've been meaning to et to for a while now

On Sun, Jun 1, 2014 at 6:12 PM, arche...@embarqmail.com <
arche...@embarqmail.com> wrote:

> Both were polarized.  This is a solid state monitor.  Fixed a friends
> fairly new solid state TV which had the same problem.  Seems like
> manufacturers would use higher quality or heavier duty caps.
> Thanks for the reminder.
> Gerry....who can happily go to his reward now that he has an Attaboy.
>

> On 6/1/2014 3:23 PM, Jim Cathey wrote:
>
>> found a 330 mfd 15 volt capacitor had a slightly rounded top.
>>>

>> Was this one polarized, or non-polarized?  The distinction
>> is, as they say, tres important.  As I recall there is often
>> a non-polarized cap in a tube monitor, and you _cannot_ replace
>> it with a polarized one.  NP's are not usually found in the
>> junk box.  If you put a polarized 50V one in place of a 15V
>> non-polarized one it might survive for awhile, but could choose
>> to fail catastrophically.
>>
>> I'm not saying this is the case, but you should be _sure_
>> before doing any laurel-resting.  If both are polarized,
>> then you are indeed done, substituting a higher-voltage
>> cap is perfectly OK.
>>
>> (Polarized electrolytics, the far-most-common type, usually
>> have a big black stripe identifying the negative lead.)
>>
>> -- Jim

>> All posts are the result of individual contributors and as such, those
>> individuals are responsible for the content of the post. The list owner has
>> no control over the content of the messages of each contributor.

> individuals are responsible for the content of the post.  The list owner

*reliable vendor of superior parts for mercedes and other european cars*
*www.BuyEUROparts.com <http://www.BuyEUROparts.com>*