Panhandling here is now a legal offense. Such aggressive actions are
assault.

Arizona is now a Constitutional carry state which means any citizen [not
otherwise unqualified] may carry the means of self defense openly or
discretely.

As the result of all the above, the number of such aggressive strong arm
acts are greatly decreased.

When approached, my normal response is to be appropriately neutral, while
reaching for my Deputy Sheriff badge wallet. The following discussion
usually takes a different end result than intended by the panhandler. The
current state and local administration  edict is one of diverting the
panhandler to social services for assistance.

I suggest that everyone use increased situational awareness, and look for
opportunities to avoid such contacts as this case..  For example.. keeping
the window closed and driving away would have given the protection of a
well built Mercedes while putting down the window gave access to a person
well versed on intimidation and predation. It appears he also had
accomplices in this planned confrontation. [He planned it.. you didn't].