That all makes sense. That is a good car, lowish miles, looks in good shape ext/int but you will have to point out how these old dizzels like to be driven, sitting like that is not good, rubber deteriorates, tires are probably at least 10yr old (that's $500 right there for a new set). You might want to look at the fuel, maybe drain at bit at the clear filter, oil, etc. Check suspension front and back for any indications of rubber gone bad, squeaks, clunks, etc. Take a jack to lift up the front corners, rattle the wheels to check BJs and bearings. Of course the AC, which is likely still R12 which might or might not be an issue depending on if you want to use replacements. Those wheels are later additions? They look like SEL wheels but the chrome? Wonder if he still has the bundts if it came with them?

If you could get it for $2500 that would be a nice car, last one I bought I went to $3k as it was in pretty good shape and that was a few years back, had all the service records since new. If he has had it for a month and not sold, offer the $2500 see what happens.

Good luck!  I love that color.

--R