Thnx.

Wilt

----- Original Message ----- From: "ned kleinhenz via Mercedes" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
To: "Mercedes List" <Mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2014 1:59 PM
Subject: [MBZ] 211 to buy?

In my search, last year,  for a CDI, I found mostly 2005 model year
available, with a few of the almost identical 2006's also around.   These
straight 6 models were also made in 2004 and probably earlier. But I'm not
sure the CDI's were available in North America before 2005.

In 2007 through 2009 they went to the Blue-Tech V-6 engine, which are
supposed to be very nice, but certainly more expensive.

The straight six's of 2005-06 seem bullet-proof and powerful. But this car
also has SBC brakes, which is an electronically controlled braking system
of controversial reliability.  The post 2007's have a more conventional
braking system.  I remember the Chrysler affiliation ending in 2006.

I bought a 2006 CDI, with 100k mi, last October.  So far I'm really glad I
bought it.  It is the nicest and by far the fasted MB diesel I've owned in
my 30 years of driving 123 and 124 diesels. I often get better than 40 mpg on highway. And the electronic brakes are amazingly effective. So far, in 25k+ miles, I've had no problems. I've owned Chryslers before, and this MB
has done nothing "Chrysler like" to me yet.

I did a fair amount of research before buying one.  Found the gasoline
versions of the W211 were plagued with engine failures and other problems
causing prices noticeably lower than the diesel models.  But almost every
consumer who reviewed their diesel loved it.

I'm sure YMMV.
Just my $0.02 worth,
Ned Kleinhenz

All posts are the result of individual contributors and as such, those individuals are responsible for the content of the post. The list owner has no control over the content of the messages of each contributor.