The first trouble was shifter bushings in the '83 300D which were fixed thanks to Gary.

The second was a dead and completely shorted out battery that would not take a charge. Since I didn't want to switch the battery out of the '83 240D, I installed a little 240 cca garden tractor battery to see if it would start the 300D since the car starts very easily. It only grunted when I tried to start it, but then I remembered the 40 amps the pre-heater draws. I preheated until the dome light brightened and then hit the starter. Success! Drove down to A-zone, and between smirks about my "big" battery, A-zone installed a new group 49 battery at no charge.

That evening I headed to town and about 5 miles from home 300D choked down to idle rpm.
Installed primary filter.  No help.
Installed secondary filter.  No help.
Thought about "idling home" with flashers on, but it being Friday night, was sure someone going home from a bar would rear-end me, and it would be my fault.
TripleA hauled me home.

Rigged up a bottle of diesel under the hood to isolate the problem. Engine still ran only at idle speed. Tank was nearly full and fuel was flowing freely out of both tank lines, so it was pretty certain the tank filter was not the problem.

Then, with visions of something being haywire in the IP, I took apart the air filter assembly; thinking that I might have bollixed something up recently when I installed new rubber supports for the air cleaner.

To go back a year or two, I had installed gaskets made of small motorcycle innertube on the inlet to the turbo since the U-shaped duct was not obtainable for a reasonable price anywhere and mine would not come close to tightening up using a stainless steel clamp.

When the U-shaped duct was taken off, a piece of the inner fell out, and when I looked inside the turbo, there was a larger piece up against the turbine blades and almost completely blocking the inlet. Easily pulled that out along with a small piece that was wedged between the turbo blade and the housing.

Put everything back together, and with fingers crossed in case rubber had blown into the engine or the turbine blades had been damaged, drove it around the neighborhood at high rpm. No problems!
It's been working well ever since.

Note: Put a new "better quality" clamp on the U-shaped duct and tightened it with a socket and wrench instead of a screwdriver. It tightened right up! No more DIY gaskets necessary.

Gerry