The 4 speed automatic transmission in my 1969 (VIN #47) 280SE 3.5 had a
slight drip that I monitored but left alone, because it shifted flawlessly
for the 18 yeqars I owned it (including 2 years in the restoration shop).
Once sorted out, the FI system was brick like in its nearly boringly
consistent performance and reliability.