On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 12:41 AM, Mitch Haley <mi...@mitchellhaley.com>
wrote:

> Tim Crone wrote:
>
>  On Aug 17, 2014 9:50 AM, "Mitch Haley via Mercedes" <
>> mercedes@okiebenz.com <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>> wrote:
>>  >
>>  > My laptop has been sluggish lately, and somehow it lost bluetooth
>> capability, so  I did a 'minimal factory restore' (I forgot how much stuff
>> came with that, maybe I should have dug up my Windows disk and done a true
>> clean install). Everything works now.
>>
>> I think it resets the registry.  Is Loren still around?
>>

> It formats the hard drive and reinstalls the OS, so yes, the registry gets
> reset.

Youch!  I didn't think the restores did a format, that's rather painful.

>   > IIRC, I want service pack 1 installed on a Windows 7 computer?
>>
>> Yes.
>>

> What surprised me was there were about twenty more 'critical updates
> needed' in Windows Updates after the SP1 install than before. I installed a
> cumulative security update but left the other 108 updates uninstalled.

I don't think MS has fixed their incremental problem - you have to run
update multiple times to actually get everything installed - so you might
check WU again.  Also the criticals tend to be things that aren't
security-specific, but could maybe be exploited, and of course QA will be
testing all the other fixes with the latest of everything.  You can block
Bing and so forth from installing ("ignore", I believe) and then bulk
install the rest, unless there is a particular objection.  On a new install
I usually start the updates before I leave for the night, restart in the
morning, monitor occasionally, and then I might be done at lunchtime.

With a few notable exceptions*, I have been satisfied with the MS update
quality control, enough that I let the lab computers update automatically
now.  That said our machines are mostly running Server OSs, so I'm not sure
that completely translates to the desktop offerings.

* Yes I am aware that they just released an update that causes a blue
screen...

Best,
Tim