 From: WILTON via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
To: Dan Penoff <d...@penoff.com>; Mercedes Discussion List
<mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2014 8:13 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 1984 500SEL Surrender

Speaking of starting reminds me:  Coupla weeks ago, I had just made one pass
at curb across front yard with JD riding mower when painting crew working on
outside of the house pulled up to curb after lunch.  I cut the mower off to
talk to the painters.  Couple minutes later, when I tried to re-start the
mower, it only groaned once then nothing.  Painters pushed mower and me to
within jumper cable distance of the battery in the '87 300D.  Mower still
only groaned with jumper cables attached.  SWMBO pushed mower and me to the
mower's parking place.

Rain, heat, humidity, skeeters, procrastination and most anything kept me
from tackling the mower problem until this morning.  Meanwhile, #1 son came
and cut grass once and I thought occasionally about how the family's '37
Ford suddenly would not start one weekend in 1948 when I was 14 and had
taken the car on extended spins around and around the house many times while
my two brothers, who were the family drivers and "in charge" of the car were
on a weekend trip with a third brother.  While I worried that my brothers
would accuse me of "breaking" the car, early Sunday afternoon a cousin about
the age of one of my "driver" brothers stopped by for a visit.

The cousin asked me why the car was sitting in a strange position in the
yard.  I told 'im I'd been driving it, and it would not start on Saturday
afternoon after I had taken a lunch break from my self-taught driving
lessons.  He got a wrench, opened the hood ad asked me to "Try it now" while
he tightened the battery cables a bit.  That's when I learned about loose
and/or corroded battery cables.

Shonuff, 'removed the mower battery cables, cleaned the cable ends and the
battery terminals, reattached the cables and mower starts right up.

Wilton