Just a postscript to my experience with 1and1....

I continued to get spam alerts from Verizon over email originating from 1and1
servers until the very end.  This was after almost four weeks from their
promises that it would end.

Also, I hosted six domains with them.  I received confirmations of the domain
transfers last Sunday when I initiated them.  They all showed that my domains
would transfer by 13:00 local time yesterday.  Three of them transferred around
17:00, the other three didn't go until almost midnight.  I called them around
19L00 and asked why the others hadn't transferred yet and they just gave me the
runaround.  When I asked them if their email confirmation was wrong, they
wouldn't respond.

Now that everything is moved over and working I'm pulling the plug on 1and1.
Should be interesting, as I've heard their retention people are pretty
ruthless, almost as bad as Comcast.

Dan