Tony,

Considering that the repair lasted seven years and the apparent understanding
that this is a lousy design that will never work right no matter what, I
wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.

It's been a while since I've done any engine work on an M103, but I'm almost
sure I've done this before.  With Peter's excellent description and all of the
online references I've found on the job it doesn't look bad at all.

And yes, I suspect the tube of sealant you gave me is probably well past it's
shelf life.

With a jobber account at my local dealer, this is probably less than $30 worth
of parts, even with the sealant.  I think the seal is under $3 my cost, and the
cam seal around $20, if that.  I have to go pull the box of spares off the
shelf to get the sealant part number, but I'm sure it won't be bad.  My dealer
parts guy is really, really good, so it's always possible he could pull a
freshly used tube out from the shop and just hand it to me.  He's done stuff
like that before....

Dan