Federal firearms laws are quite strong and the penalties are severe.  But
some jurisdictions (typically jurisdictions with their own, more
restrictive, firearms laws) choose to enforce neither their own laws nor the
Federal laws.  Just look at the criminal records of those mutts that do get
caught.

Our local chief of police was frustrated because the District Court docket
couldn't begin to accommodate the large number of perps (almost all repeat
offenders).  Plea bargain became the norm; at least that took some of the
perps off the street for a while.  Then he started charging them with
federal firearms violations.  The Federal court dates were soon and proof of
the crime was (relatively) easy.  As I recall, 19 perps went away for 5-10
years each, that first year after the chief started the new approach.

Laws are meaningless if you don't enforce them.