Agreed.  There's got to be some attachment or emotion involved, or they're
"blinded by the tristar" and have unrealistic ideas of its value.

There's a 3400 mile 1991 500SL on BW right now.  The owners, an older couple
who bought the car new, went for a drive and found the car had a head gasket
leak, which was due to a failure of the metal on the block at the edge of one
of the cylinder bores.  Only fix is new engine or tear down the existing one
and weld/machine the block.  Needless to say it's a big chunk of change for
either.

They're trying to sell it now, quoting the original sticker price, etc.,
without much activity other than people politely telling them they're nuts.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/1502707-items-sale-wanted-trade-29.html#post10146785

Dan